Cargo on Musgrave is a contemporary affordable housing project located in Coopers Plains, 11 kilometres from Brisbane’s CBD. This project consists of 2 apartment multi-level buildings surrounded by a number of town homes.
Citicene were engaged by BHC to deliver landscape architectural consultancy services.
These services included:
- Achieving landscape approval with the local authority – Brisbane City Council;
- Sub-consultancy engagement and co-ordination for ecological services for the adjoining waterway corridor;
- Sub-consultancy engagement and co-ordination for arborist services for existing vegetation;
- Landscape design for all outdoor spaces including the rehabilitation of the neighbouring waterway corridor. The site has a NALL Classification (Natural Assets Local Law) and required retention and protection of a number of existing trees including a large Ficus Sp. tree to the centre of the site. The successful retention of this tree now provides a focal point to the entry and linear central driveway spine of the site.
The Landscape entails numerous outdoor areas for residents including two outdoor entertaining spaces with barbeque and shelter facilities.
Other landscape features included:
- Drainage swales to direct overland water flow to a central bio-basin;
- A central rainforest green space with feature trellis;
- A heavily vegetated acoustic mound to the Eastern end of the site to assist in suppressing adjoining intersection traffic noise;
- Re-vegetation and rehabilitation of the waterway corridor;
- A productive garden - vegetable communal garden space for residents.
A natural plant palette boasting a wide variety of native species to ensure hardiness and minimal maintenance.
Cargo on Musgrave has a landscape that is natural within the existing environment, cost effective, attractive and appropriate to the surrounding built form.
Client: BHC – Creating Liveable Communities
Architect: CDI Architects
Builder: Walton Construction Queensland