The site consisted of an existing highrise building and adjoining carpark. The landscape included refurbishment of the existing building forecourt and integration into the surrounds of the new building.
Consideration of the existing adjoining office tower was an important design consideration as its forecourt was on a podium level, so integration of an appropriate design response in accordance with structural constraints was required.
The project also included:
-the design of an internal courtyard;
an entry plaza;
- streetscape design in accordance with the local authority requirements;
- integration of artwork;
- equitable access from the new forecourt to the refurbished forecourt.
Citicene were engaged for ‘hardworks’ and ‘softworks’ concept
design, contract documentation and construction supervision.
Specifically this included:
- columnar Cotton Palms strategically positioned over existing basement pylons enabled the integration of this mature vegetation to the outdoor plaza space between the two buildings.
- solid granite seats also strategically positioned to distribute weight effectively over an existing podium.
- a contemporary plant selection;
- pavement design and selection;
- streetscape design in accordance with Brisbane City Council requirements.
Attention to detail in pavement, seating and feature wall design strengthens the landscape character of this urban corporate space.
Client: Laing O'Rourke
Architect: Rice Daubney
Shire: Brisbane City Council